A variety of hands-on therapies to help alleviate pain and support the structure and function of the body and its biomechanics.These therapies include orthopedic adjustments, soft tissue mobilization, acupuncture and injection therapies.
Adjustments are an excellent way to help realign body structures to allow blood flow and increased mobility to an area of the body. Most often adjustments are used for:
- Neck pain
- Low back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Hip pain
- Elbow/arm pain
- Wrist/ankle pain
- Knee pain
- chronic headaches
Soft tissue mobilization is used to treat tight muscles, trigger points and fascial adhesions.
This involves heat, massage or instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization (IASTM) to help alleviate pain in a muscle.
Top 10 Indications for Physical Medicine Treatment
- Pain reduction & prevention- muscle, bone, ligament, fascia, cartilage, nerve and viscera
- Faster healing time & prevention of chronic conditions- shortened time to recover from acute back pain
- Stretches contracted (hypertonic) muscles to induce relaxation (decrease muscle spasm)
- Reduce soft tissue adhesions (scare tissue)
- Increase in passive range of motion (PROM)
- Restore myofascial/joint optimal position & biomechanical function to prevent future injury & promote optimal performance
- Increase local blood flow to promote healing (basic fact: more blood flow = better healing)
- Relieve nerve compression, irritated sympathetic chain ganglia & potentially modify organ function (correct abnormal somatovisceral reflexes, improve digestion, bowel function)
- Stress reduction, decreased anxiety & improved mental attitude (therapeutic touch)
- Placebo effect (very powerful)- the belief of future wellness is key to healing- do NOT underestimate the importance of placebo.